Monday, 13 February 2017

Bartletts in the Black Forest: part 2

Our holiday continued with a trip to Strassbourg. It was 3 Kings day so I was looking forward to some real French Galettes des rois, and it was the last day that the Christmas tree would still be standing. It was a beautiful sunny day, but so cold. SO. COLD. 

We were only in the city for a few hours, but with it being SO. COLD. I didn't mind too much. We saw the main attractions, appreciated the prettiness, bought a Galette des rois to take home, warmed up in a coffee shop, and then headed back to the station.
We arrived at the station with time to spare before the train we wanted to take would depart, buuuut, we couldn't figure out where to buy a ticket. We needed a ticket for only a 15 minute stretch before our other ticket would take us further, but it was such a hassle. We tried several machines, and asked somebody to help us. With just a couple minutes before departure, we still didn't have a ticket so we slowed down our frantic search and went to the travel office. Turns out, the ONLY way to buy a ticket for the train we needed, was to take a number at the office, wait about 15 minutes to get called to a counter, and buy one there. Come on France, you can do better!
So we finally got a train back to Freudenstadt but were very delayed, causing us to miss the last bus to our apartment and resulting in us needing to pay for a taxi. Fortunately, when we got back, we had a galette des rois and tea to defrost us. And Malcolm got to be King for the day, since he found the little figurine.

The next day, the weather was good so we decided to go for a walk to Freudenstadt. It was only about 3kms or so, and the path was really snowy and pretty. 


We saw a sign to a tower, and decided it might be worth looking at. I searched google images and it did look pretty, so we detoured up the hill and to Friedrichsturm.

After a rather steep ascent up the hill, we finally made it to the tower. It was a little disappointing, since it wasn't at all that big and seemed dwarfed by the trees around it, but it was very pretty! And, not too far away, there was a decent view over the city.

Our aim was to find a teddy bear for our baby, but we were unsuccessful, so after wandering around the city a little, we found a cafe at the market place to warm up and have lunch at. Then, back to our apartment for cosy hot chocolate and board games and TV. 

It was suddenly our last day in the Black Forest, a Sunday, and there wasn't too much to do. And, honestly, it was nice just to hang out and head out for a walk with no goal. We soon discovered a bus stop very close by, with a cleared road leading to it - we were so glad because lugging our bags to the other bus stop the next day didn't seem too appealing, and now we wouldn't have to! We continued our walk through the forest, aimlessly wandering and enjoying the snow. We attempted a snow ball fight, but my stomach made it tricky to bend down and pick up snow, so Malcolm lovingly made me snow balls so it'd be more fair ;)

The next day was departure-day, and we sadly said goodbye to our little spot in the Black Forest. It was such a wonderful holiday, and just what we needed before the craziness of 2017 started.

No comments:

Post a Comment